The School Facilities
The campus of Escuela Taller de Filipinas Foundation Inc. is at the Revellin de Recoletos. The name “Revellin” derives from the Italian word ‘rivelino’, a term used to refer to the fort built opposite the walled city gates with the purpose of reinforcing its defensive position. The Revellin de Recoletos was built in 1771 and named after the Recoletos Church nearby. It is also known as Revellin de Dilao due to its main objective, which was to strengthen the defense of the curtain wall between Baluarte de Dilao and Baluarte de San Andres. In 1940, the Revellin was converted into a garden and called Aurora Gardens in honor of the wife of Commonwealth President Manuel L. Quezon. This historical military structure was damaged during the Battle of Manila in 1945 and restored in 1969 and 1986. The Philippine Orchid Society held its garden shows here for decades and it was the place of the Bonsai Library and Museum under the Philippine Authority of Tourism. In 2009, Intramuros Administration offered Revellin to Escuela Taller Intramuros for it to be used as its main campus. Restored by Escuela Taller team, graduates and trainees from 2009 to present, the workshops, offices and facilities of Escuela Taller de Filipinas have the privilege of occupying an important structure of Philippine History.